Mixed Media Layout: Inspired


Hello mix media lovers.  I recently took an art journaling class with the fantastic Dina Wakley from Ranger.  She is one of my favorite mix media artist.  I have both of her books and love her product line of stamps, stencils and heavy body acrylic paints.  I live in south Florida and she was at my local scrapbook store in August.  We learned great techniques in class and I was going to practice in my art journal and then I thought I could do a background instead in order to scrap my picture with Dina. 
The dachshund was the first step on white cardstock.  It was a simple outline printed off of the interest and I adhered it with Dina Wakley gel medium.  The acrylic paints are inexpensive Apple Barrel paints in Admiral blue, Real navy, Peacock blue, Cool blue and Key West for the doxie.   A Stabilo All Pencil was used to outline the entire doxie and a water brush to soften the line.  I used gesso on the page and then started on the purple background.  Fuchsia, dive pink and neon orange were used on the initial background. 

I used the "Parasols" 12x12 stencil from Crafter's Workshop with a makeup sponge and Real Navy.  I loved the look of this stencil along the edges and then added the stencil "Patterns" using the same color.  Mixed Media in my experience is all about adding layers and dimension with stamping and stenciling, so that is exactly what I was trying to accomplish with this background.    Dina Wakley's stamps called Textures were used with Memento Wedding Dress white, Lilac Purple archival ink and Cobalt.  And after that layer I added white splatters with Dylusion ink spray in Linen White. 
I hand wrote "Inspired" across the page with black acrylic paint.  To finish off the layout I matted my photo with polka dot paper and added blue, purple and pink thread for added texture behind the photo.  I am lovely how bright and colorful this layout turned out.  It could have been a page in my art journal but I thought it would be great to also use those same technique learned to document my photo with.  Dina signed my book and stamps at the end of class which is amazing.  I would take another class with her in the future.  I have a process video for this layout below.
Thank you for stopping by,

Evi

0 comments:

Post a Comment